Foods such as sauerkraut that are fermented by lactic acid bacteria have been part of the human diet for tens of thousands of years. We have evolved eating them.
There are many reasons why we should eat sauerkraut but here are are seven of them.
1. There are archaeological indications that people have always used this technique of preserving foods. Our ancestors would have consumed large numbers of live lactic acid bacteria. Archaeological evidence suggests that lactic acid bacteria associated with plant material were eaten before those associated with milk.
2. Contains substantial amounts of Lactobacillus plantarum which has proven effective in reducing inflammation in inflammatory bowel disease and reducing bloating, flatulence, pain and constipation of irritable bowel syndrome.
3. Sauerkraut contains many hundreds of different types of lactic acid bacteria which our gastrointestinal tract needs for healthy functioning.
4. This fermented vegetable contains as many good bacteria in 1 gram as a supplement does in 1 capsule.
5. Lactobacillus plantarum, which by the end of fermentation is the main family of bacteria within sauerkraut, has been proven to have a positive effect on immunity in HIV children. This indicates that is has a beneficial effect on everyone’s immune System.
6. Over the last one hundred years our intake of lactic acid bacteria has reduced enormously – at the same time our rates of gastrointestinal diseases such as IBS and inflammatory bowel disease have increased at an alarming rate. Evidence suggests that the two are connected.
7. Sauerkraut tastes great.
All the latest scientific findings point towards the fact that people could positively influence their health simply by increasing their intake of fermented foods.