begin consuming these whole foods on a daily basis.
Here is a list of the top 10 natural foods to help maintain a healthy cholesterol
level in the body.
- Oat bran and brown rice bran are the best foods for reducing cholesterol. They
are rich in soluble fiber, thereby lowers cholesterol levels by binding fats and heavy
- Blueberries (organic) alone may help lower cholesterol as effectively as statin
drugs! Berries, in general, help prevent oxidation of bad cholesterol and they are
super abundant in antioxidants.
- Fish is a good source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids, which has been shown
to lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol. Omega 3 fatty acids also help
to lower triglyceride levels.
- Garlic contains allicin and can have a powerful antioxidant effect. Lowers
cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
- Apples contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Apple's two kinds of fiber are useful
for reducing cholesterol levels and for decreasing your risk of hardening of the
arteries, stroke, and heart attack. Apple's insoluble fiber works to remove LDL from
the body, while apple's fiber pectin reduces the amount of LDL cholesterol made in
- Nuts are abundant in fiber, phytonutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin E and
selenium. Nuts also contain plant sterols and the healthy fats (mono-and
- Beans are high in soluble fiber; lowers the bad cholesterol and raises the good
cholesterol. Other foods high in soluble fiber include lentils, peas, and ground
- Foods with Plant Sterols (or stanols) are powerful phytosterols found in plant
membranes that may block cholesterol absorption. Sterols are found naturally in
several kinds of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, cereals, legumes, and vegetable oils.
- Olive oil has been known to reduce LDLs, raise HDLs, and is rich in antioxidants.
- Soy protein -studies show that a total daily intake of 25 grams of soy protein
significantly lowers LDL cholesterol levels. Soy has a high amount of
polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Soy products are also a great
replacement for animal products.
Last but not least, it's important to keep in mind that cholesterol is found only in animal
products, not plant foods. Therefore, eating fewer animal foods and more plant foods
will lower the blood cholesterol. If you already have high cholesterol, temporarily
changing to a vegetarian diet with fish and non-fat dairy products, such as yogurt may
help lower your levels quickly.
About The Author
Robin Reichert is a natural health writer, AFPA Certified Nutrition and Wellness
Consultant, and is currently a graduate student of natural health at Clayton College.
Lifelong learning and educating others about natural health is her passion. For more
natural health and wellness information, please go to Robin's Wellness Resource Center
Top 10 Natural Foods to Lower Cholesterol Safely and Naturally
by Robin Reichert
The cholesterol in blood comes
from two main sources: the foods
we eat and what we manufacture.
Cholesterol levels that are too high
or too low in the blood can be a
very dangerous factor, often leading
to a heart attack or a stroke. There
are many people who take statin
drugs to reduce their cholesterol.
However, there are many natural
foods that you can eat to help
lower cholesterol safely and
naturally without the use of
dangerous statin drugs. You may
notice a substantial improvement in
your cholesterol level once you
|Copyright © EveryNutrient.com
|These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The content on
this website is for educational purposes only. Please consult with your physician before using natural
remedies and before making any drastic changes to your diet or exercise program.
Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil Reviews
Coconut Oil Research