The skin is the largest living, breathing organ of the body. It acts as an interface between the internal and external environments. It consists of the epidermis, dermis and the hypodermis. The epidermis is the surface layer, the layer that we see. It serves us as the protective layer. The dermis is the middle layer that contains the glands and the connective tissues. This layer helps complete the absorption process by carrying whatever is placed on the epidermis to the deepest part of the skin and throughout the body.
The hypodermis contains the adipose tissues or fat layer. This is the layer that contains your fat cells.
1. Protection – The skin serves as a barrier that prevents microorganisms and other substances from entering the body.
2. Regulates Body Temperature – Considerable heat is lost through the skin. Even under conditions of high temperature or exercise, the body temperature remains almost normal.
3. Elimination – The evaporation of perspiration acts to cool the skin. In addition, small amounts of waste product and salt leave the body through sweat.
4. Sensation – Nerve endings in the skin provide the body with a great deal of information about the outside environment.
5. Vitamin D Production – In the presence of sunlight or ultraviolet radiation, a substance in the skin is altered to produce vitamin D, necessary for the absorption of calcium and phosphate from food.
Another function of the skin, that is often overlooked, is its absorption properties. This is the reason why applying transdermal medications (birth control patch, smoking patch, etc..) to the skin is so effective. You can also benefit from the absorption function of the skin with cosmetic lotions, topical treatments, and other applications that benefit the skin.
One benefit that spas capitalize on body wrap treatments. Body wraps are designed to help reduce inches and detoxify the body. Detoxifying your body with body wraps improves your overall wellbeing. Body wraps are also capable of slimming and contouring your physique and can also help shape your body in about an hour. The therapeutic and cosmetic benefits help rid the body of toxins which contribute to reduce inches.
Certain body wrap can help to relieve pain due to injury and illness. Body wraps special formulas contain ingredients that help detach fat lipids from cell walls so that permanent fat loss may occur.
Body wraps are safe and just about anyone can benefit from them for skin conditioning, tightening, pain relief and even fat loss. A home body wrap made with your own body wrap recipes is a unique alternative if you want an inexpensive way to improve skin condition, toning and tightening, and to help relieve joint pain and inflammation. It is recommended that you give yourself a body wrap once every week for up to six weeks – then for maintenance, once a month.